Monday, December 1, 2008

"DISCHARGE SAID "IT'S NO TV SKETCH"--

YOU'RE GODDAM RIGHT, IT'S LIFE OR DEATH!"



Time for my first post proper and what better place to start than 90's Cleveland? Well I can think of a few but cmon, the clock is crawlin past 2:30 in the am and my supply of Coke is gettin low.

Clevo has a long history of animalistic punks chargin' on PBR, wrestling and the best tunes from the land of rising sun. Often these punks end up banding together to put out hardcore punk bangers. The GORDON SOLIE MOTHERFUCKERS- "Chairshot Politics" 7" is banger, for sure.

While the lyric sheet may read like a laundry list of topics all punk bands sing about- Capitalist pigs, the police, conspiracy theories, depression, the state of punk etc etc the jams are urgent enough and the vocals manic enough to make it totally believable and let it land in "fuckin' killer, man" teritory instead of "how cliche..." territory. Keep in mind this was recorded in 98 and while everyone was reviving youth crew or tuning to E, Tony Erba and co. were breaking bottles and listening to Judgement. I spin this record more than the 10" on 625 because 1) its not on 625 2) the art is superior and 3) the recording is more rough and ready, just how i like it.

Im a glutton for Cle-Punk trivia and while I dont really have anything about this record in particular, I heard a certain GSMFer, one that didnt play on this record, crashed his car into a church. While drunk. If that isnt the most punk crime ever, what is?

Love the Matrix on this one too- "Wrestling is still real..." "And Pines is still fat". You can always count on Tony Erba to talk trash like a true wrestling fan, especially when it comes to Chubby Fresh (and Dwid).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ifav18

Download the EP via the link above, or just throw it on your player, make sure when youre done you jam one (or all) of these...



And, as a mere afterthought, heres a piece of Clevo trivia for ya. When DISCHARGE played Clevo, I think it was on the 86' tour, Mike Duncan who was the singer for legendary clevo HC band THE PLAGUE took exception to the metalled up direction DISCHARGE was taking. He reportedly bashed Cal, to me thats why Clevo rules. While everyone else is jumping on bandwagons, these cunts are bashing people for jumping on the bandwagons. Also, another little nugget, on the insert to THE PLAGUE- "Just Say No" 7" who can you see slam skanking? None other than Wedge, future drummer for GSMF and every Clevo band that mattered since (except those featuring Spot, and I guess, Marcus Upstab).

3 comments:

Slobodan Burgher said...

NO FUCKING WAY? That is Wedge??? Hah, I have been admiring that dude in the picture for around 15 years. This made my day.

(I think I even mentioned this when I posted Plague on my blog 2 years ago)

Oh, Plague rules.

X-X said...

Yeh its definitely Wedge. Looks like a fucking lumberjack or some shit. Wild.

I love the Plague too, JUST SAY NO is one of the hardest 7"s of all time.

...PRETENTIOUS ASSHOLES said...

Straight from the horses mouth, that album cover was drawn on a napkin. I don't think Shaun was being sarcastic either.